- 4 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp of California Raisins
- 90ml reduced salt soy sauce
- 120ml sake or dry sherry
- 2 level tbsp of honey
- 3 garlic cloves, skinned and chopped
- 2.5cm fresh ginger, finely grated
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Also soak wooden skewers for 15 minutes in water before use to prevent burning whilst cooking.
- 50-75g of brown basmati rice per person
- 1 medium red pepper, seeded
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- Calories 510kcals
- Total fat 4.5g, of which saturated fats 1g
- Protein 42g
- Carbohydrates 69g
- Fibre 2.5g
- Iron 2.5mg
- Sodium 866mg
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Mix half of each of the soy sauce, sake and honey along with all the ginger, garlic and black pepper (to taste).
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of warm water, stir to combine the flavours.
- Add the chicken and mix well to coat the pieces thoroughly.
- Chill for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight if possible) turning occasionally to ensure even marination.
- Cook the rice in 2 parts water to 1 part rice for 20 minutes or until fluffy.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, thread the chicken onto the pre-soaked skewers and grill for the last 10-15 minutes (of cooking time). Turn and baste the skewers regularly with any remaining marinade.
- Meanwhile stir-fry the peppers and shallots in a little olive oil or spray cooking oil until the shallots are just beginning to brown. Remove from heat.
- Place the remaining soy sauce, sake, honey and raisins in a saucepan with 2 tbsp warm water and gently simmer for 7-8 minutes or until the raisins are plump and most of the liquid. has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat.